Custom items are “one of a kind” items built to spec in limited, often one off quantities. Custom items sometimes may be used as a template to make more – thus known as a SAMPLE or PROTOTYPE.
- KNOWLEDGE: Requires extensive understanding of design, testing, materials, quality, construction techniques and factories
- OPTIONS: Options are extremely flexible which both complicates the process significantly and simultaneously is the core advantage.
- ORDERING: A standardized but time consuming process requiring careful selection and evaluation of materials, and construction/finishing techniques. A research and design phase is usually necessary and quoting must occur before ordering.
- SUPPLY/PRICING: Cost is often high due to limited or limited or no economies of scale/reuse potential, indirect costs and the additional required attention to the product.
- TYPES: Samples, a part of the research and design process and may be used as a template for additional items. Also, “custom” which is a single one off item.
Related Books & Reading
Custom-Made Murder (A Chocolate Centered Cozy Mystery) (Volume 8)Ally and Charlotte Sweet love working together at ‘Charlotte’s Chocolate Heaven’ making chocolate delights. Ally is excited to finally be meetin... Read More >
Rooted: Creating a Sense of Place: Contemporary Studio FurnitureThe movement to buy locally, which has gained momentum in the areas of produce and food, is now spreading to arts and crafts. Through the work of over... Read More >