One of ACF’s local “inside suppliers” wishes to liquidate his existing stock of restored antique walnut furniture from Gansu at reduced prices, as he is now dealing only in un-restored antiques. As an “inside supplier” this restorer does not normally sell directly to overseas customers and instead local furniture factories buy from him to then resell in their own warehouse at a premium. As he is one of the few people who specializes primarily in walnut furniture from Gansu province (halfway between Beijing and Tibet), this is an very unusual and rare opportunity to see such a large volume of walnut pieces in one single location. Normally factories will only have a few such pieces (which they likely purchased from him).
While not as costly as rosewood or Huali, walnut furniture is generally more expensive them Elm, Pine or Poplar and are generally sold at a higher premium. Availability has dropped and prices for walnut furniture have risen significantly over the past few years. Walnut is a much harder wood, more durable and longer lasting with a rich deep copper or caramel brown color with a nice grain and wonderful texture. Restorers also tend to use better brass hardware for walnut as the two colors compliment each other. Mostly from Western Gansu, styles are often understated, well balanced and elegant in their own right.
A few other things to know about this lot:
- ALL these pieces are antique (there are no vintage or reproduction pieces in this batch).
- Quality is quite good and all pieces are restored and ready to ship.
- With a very few exceptions 90% of the pieces are walnut and from Gansu.
- Not all items are pictured here (there is at least a 40 foot container).
- He also has a few rare items that are not seen very often.
- Sizes and proportions are very practical and usable.
- The flash on the camera tends to give everything more contrast and more yellow (note this).
Larger photos of the complete lot can be seen online at this address:
then navigate to
For price list/additional details email me at roger at antique-chinese-furniture.com