This is an area where people often have a quite a lot of difficulty distinguishing between the “style” of the product (in other words the visual appearance of the item) vs the actual “type” of product. To the average eye, an item may look like as if it is a hand-made, traditional Chinese piece but in reality may be a mass produced product.
Recognizing and being able to point out the differences is extremely important as there is a HUGE difference in price between factory made items vs antiques, reproductions or other product classes. If a customer does not know anything about cars, then they may be unable to tell the difference between a economy class car vs a luxury brand. What if the customers doesn’t care about the differences? No problem – just make sure you don’t sell the luxury car at the economy class car price (your customer will be happy – though you will probably be out of business).
What exactly are manufactured items?
New items are characterized by standardization of materials, construction, specifications, process and assembly. Manufactured items usually use modern construction techniques & materials as well as complex machinery in a normal production line environment an as a result parts are interchangeable/replaceable
- KNOWLEDGE: Unlike antiques where you need to know about about periods, wood types etc, there is no special knowledge required to purchase, other then of common styles and an ability to recognize quality in regards to price.
- OPTIONS: Set options are according to manufacturers pre-set colors, sizes or feature sets. Limited choices. Usually follows pre-set product lines.
- ORDERING: There are usually significant minimum quantities requirements, and the ordering process is very standard, sophisticated and business like. Items can be re-ordered within exact specifications.
- SUPPLY/PRICING: Pricing is typically stable and organized according to a structured price list based on quantities and chosen options. Supply is limited only by market conditions such as raw materials cost and production capacity
- TYPES: Highly technical/Non-technical and Sample (see custom)