CUSTOM BUILT / CUSTOM MADE / MADE TO ORDER
Custom items are “one of a kind” items built to spec in limited, often one off quantities. Custom items sometimes may be used as a template to make more – thus known as a SAMPLE or PROTOTYPE.
- KNOWLEDGE: Requires extensive understanding of design, testing, materials, quality, construction techniques and factories
- OPTIONS: Options are extremely flexible which both complicates the process significantly and simultaneously is the core advantage.
- ORDERING: A standardized but time consuming process requiring careful selection and evaluation of materials, and construction/finishing techniques. A research and design phase is usually necessary and quoting must occur before ordering.
- SUPPLY/PRICING: Cost is often high due to limited or limited or no economies of scale/reuse potential, indirect costs and the additional required attention to the product.
- TYPES: Samples, a part of the research and design process and may be used as a template for additional items. Also, “custom” which is a single one off item.