Here is some great collection of articles I found on wood finish supply.com’s website about lacquers & wood finishing. Its quite technical and really intended for woodworkers and the like but if that’s you, then this is a good resource.
Here is a sample of some of the articles:
- The Anatomy of A Wood Finish
These 3 basic finish steps apply to all finishes from the most basic wax or oil finish
to high-tec coatings and even painting the exterior of a house or a room wall.
- COLOR THEORY for the Woodworker & Furniture Finisher
Mixing Stains or Dyes & Color Computer Instructions.
- Glossary of Finishing Terms
- Stripping Wood Furniture
Guidelines for stripping wood furniture and other fine wood surfaces.
- Lacquer Finishing Check List
Guidelines for spray finishing with Nitrocellulose Lacquer.
- Lacquer Retarder & Flash Control
Control of Lacquer Moisture Blushing, or Overspray, and Orange-Peel problems.
- LACQUER FINISHING PROBLEMS self help TROUBLE SHOOTING
Common nitrocellulose lacquer finishing problems defined; with causes & remedies.
- Finishing Schedule for KITCHEN CABINETS
Spray Schedule for Durability with Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- WAX THE PERFECT PROTECTION FOR FURNITURE?
Text from from Wood Magazine article on the proper maintenance of furniture.
- ” HOT STUFF ” Instant Glues & Solving Clogged Spouts
How to get the most from Cyanoacrylate ” Hot Stuff “. Do’s & Dont’s — How To Use.
Typical uses for Cyanoacrylate Instant Glues
- ANILINE DYE
ANILINE DYE Information and Application Guidelines.
- LIMING, a Limed Wood Finish also known as Pickled or “Whitewash”
This is a traditional wax finish for decorative furniture and wood surfaces
- SHELLAC FLAKE, Mixing and Application Information
- A guide to FRENCH POLISHING with Shellac –
- ROTTENSTONE & PUMICE for Finish Rubbing Techniques for traditional rubbing of finishes to satin or high-gloss sheens.
The full text of the articles are here on their site: https://www.mcn.org/a/lib/wfs/articles.html