Situated in the center of Beijing, the Forbidden City or the Imperial Palace served as the political and cultural capital of China from 1420 to 1911. During that time 24 emperors, from both the Ming and Qing dynasties, resided within its walls. Today it is regarded as one of the best-preserved ancient palaces in the world and holds UNESCO World Heritage Status, which it received in 1987.
Tourists flock to the Forbidden City not only for its stunning architecture but also for the treasures of China’s past; over a million pieces are housed within the palace and include everything from jade and gold pieces to paintings and calligraphy. This book serves as an illustrated guide to the Forbidden City, and the historical relics that lie within.
This book is designed to serve as an illustrated guide on your tour of the Imperial Palace. Strolling about those awesome gates, halls and palaces, you can...
– Appreciate the unique style of Chinese palatial architecture to gain a strong sense of the philosophy behind it.
– Review that special period of history to get a real insight into the traditional Chinese culture and customs.
– Feast your eyes on the extensive collection of treasures to reveal a rich part of the precious cultural legacy.
- Publisher : Shanghai Book Traders; Illustrated edition (May 31, 2010)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 156 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1606521217
- ISBN-13 : 978-1606521212
- Reading age : 18 years and up
- Item Weight : 15.2 ounces
- Dimensions : 7.72 x 0.52 x 9.78 inches